Dental implants are replacement tooth roots. Implants provide a strong foundation for fixed (permanent) or removable replacement teeth that are made to match your natural teeth.
- Improved appearance. Dental implants look and feel like your own teeth. And because they are designed to fuse with bone, they become permanent.
- Improved speech. With poor-fitting dentures, the teeth can slip within the mouth causing you to mumble or slur your words. Dental implants allow you to speak without the worry that teeth might slip.
- Improved comfort. Because they become part of you, implants eliminate the discomfort of removable dentures.
- Easier eating. Sliding dentures can make chewing difficult. Dental implants function like your own teeth, allowing you to eat your favorite foods with confidence and without pain.
- Improved self-esteem. Dental implants can give you back your smile and help you feel better about yourself.
- Improved oral health. Dental implants don’t require reducing other teeth, as a tooth-supported bridge does. Because nearby teeth are not altered to support the implant, more of your own teeth are left intact, improving long-term oral health. Individual implants also allow easier access between teeth, improving oral hygiene.
- Durability. Implants are very durable and will last many years. With good care, many implants last a lifetime.
- Convenience. Removable dentures are just that; removable. Dental implants eliminate the embarrassing inconvenience of removing dentures, as well as the need for messy adhesives to keep them in place.
Success rates of dental implants vary, depending on where in the jaw the implants are placed but, in general, dental implants have a success rate of up to 98%. With proper care (see below), implants can last a lifetime.
To fully understand this remarkable technique for replacing teeth, you should first understand what a dental implant is. An implant is a small titanium screw that fits inside your jawbone and replaces the root-part of a missing tooth. Minor surgery is required to insert the implants. Once the implant is in place, a crown is attached to give you a highly realistic-looking and functional prosthetic tooth.
Here’s where it gets really interesting: You do not need a dental implant for each and every one of your missing teeth. All is you need is four precisely placed implants on the top of your mouth, and four on the bottom, to restore your full smile. That’s the beauty of the all-on-four. And because the implant is made of titanium, it has the unique ability to fuse to living bone and function as part of it. So eventually, the dental implant becomes part of the jawbone and serves as a strong, long-lasting foundation for your new teeth.
Besides ensuring that your implants are permanently fixed in place, this bone fusion has another important benefit: it prevents future bone loss in the jaw. This helps to maintain a more youthful facial structure—and better oral health. But perhaps the biggest surprise about the all-on-four is how quickly it can transform your life.
Classic dentures are very uncomfortable for most patients especially when speaking and eating. They feel artificial and static, diminishing sensation in the mouth as well as the tongue’s freedom and the patient’s overall comfort level. Zest Anchors LLC has produced a unique dental attachment called the Zest LOCATOR Abutment, a much more comfortable and reliable denture.
The Zest Locator is secured into place by four mini dental implants. With a little bit of practice, the denture easilybut tightly snaps into the attachments. The snap system is very tight and secure which gives patients confidence when they talk or eat. Overdentures were designed to feel secure but natural so that patients would forget about them and enjoy themselves without restraint.
Apart from the security and comfort, the Zest Locator Abutment has other advantages as well:
- It is comfortable for it does not cover the palatine bone.
- Unlike classic dentures, the Zest Locator does not require additional accessories such as adhesive cream in order to be used. It simply snaps in place and will not budge until the patient wants to take it out.
he advantage of this system is that the patient will never have to worry about the denture falling off or moving around when eating even fruits, vegetables or steak.
Moreover, the adhesive creams used with classic dentures have been known to cause nerve damage in some patients. Although the issue of zinc from adhesive creams causing nerve damage is still being researched, any foreign substances used will be absorbed into the body with repercussions that have yet to be explored.
Saving the natural roots, if possible, prevents the bone from deterioration and degradation which would eventually result in loss of jawbone height. It is indicated that the natural roots are used as anchors for the overdentures. If the natural roots cannot be saved, artificial ones are positioned in their place.
Furthermore, the lack of teeth determines a continual bone loss of the dental arches. Not only does this impact the overall esthetics but it also raises serious health concerns. With Zest Locator Abutment, the arches are protected and bone loss can easily be prevented.
Using overdentures will preserve the contours of the face and prevent premature wrinkles that would have otherwise formed if dentures were not used at all.
The Zest LOCATOR feels truly secure and tight so that even tougher food can be chewed with no problem but it also has the flexibility necessary to feel natural, comfortable and not impair speech.
When using the Zest Locator, oral hygiene is not much different than it would be with natural teeth. The denture has to be brushed every day with a nonabrasive toothpaste and a soft toothbrush.
Keeping the gums healthy is also easier with overdentures. A daily application of fluoride on each exposed root surface is sufficient to ensure the gums are cleanliness and health of the gums.
Because of the quality built, the longevity of the Locator far exceeds the life of classic dentures.
The Zest Locator Abutment is a better alternative to traditional dentures. The Locator is secure and stable as well as long-lasting being a great choice for those who want to save money in the long run. Overall, overdentures are more comfortable and healthier than their traditional alternatives, offering more satisfaction and happiness to the patient.